These are initially Debian packages, also available for Raspbian, but I also try to share any lessons from this effort with the upstream developers and also provide a foundation for Ubuntu and Fedora packaging.
Trying the packages
Raspbian setup (Raspbian users only)
- Download the Raspbian light image from the official Raspbian download page
- Write the image to an SD card using
cator a similar tool
- Boot the Raspberry Pi
- Set a password for the pi user, the default is raspberry
- Set the hostname
- In (4) Localization settings, set your Locale, Timezone and Keyboard
- In (5) Interfacing, enable SSH
- At the command line, run
timedatectlto verify the time and time synchronization is correct
ip addrto see your IP address
- (optional) Connect to the Pi from your usual workstation and copy your SSH public key to
- (optional) Disable PasswordAuthentication in
/etc/ssh/sshd_config(you don't want the script kiddies next door turning on your heating system in the middle of summer do you?)
Package repository setup (Debian, Raspbian and Ubuntu users)
To use packages from Debify, the first step is to update your apt configuration. This works for regular Debian or Raspbian systems running stretch or buster:
$ wget -O - http://apt.debify.org/add-apt-debify | bash
$ sudo apt update $ sudo apt install domoticz-zigate-plugin
All the necessary packages should be installed automatically. A sample installation log is below for comparison.
Zigate users - check firmware version
You may want to check that you have the latest firmware installed in your Zigate.
- Download the firmware image from here
- If your apt setup automatically installs Recommended packages then jennic-module-programmer has already been installed for you. If not, you can do
sudo apt install jennic-module-programmer zigate-flasher. You can also try the alternative tool, zigate-flasher
- Unplug your Zigate USB stick and open the case. Hold down the button and while holding the button, reconnect it to the USB port. The blue light should now be illuminated by very dimly. This means it is ready for a firmware update.
- Run the update, for example, if you copied or downloaded the firmware to /tmp and if you have no other USB serial device attached, you could use the following command:
sudo JennicModuleProgrammer -s /dev/ttyUSB0 -f /tmp/ZiGate_Coordinator_v3.1a.bin
- Wait for the command to complete successfully
- Detach the Zigate and put it back into its case
- Attach the Zigate again
- Restart Domoticz:
sudo systemctl restart domoticz
If the JennicModuleProgrammer utility doesn't work for you, if it sits there for ten minutes without doing anything you can also try the zigate-flasher. I packaged both of these so you have the choice: please share your feedback in the Domoticz forums. Repeat the steps above, replacing step 4 with:
$ sudo zigate-flasher -p /dev/ttyUSB0 -w /tmp/ZiGate_Coordinator_v3.1a.bin Found MAC-address: 00:11:22:33:44:55:66:77 writing new flash from /tmp/ZiGate_Coordinator_v3.1a.bin $
Zigate users: quick Domoticz setup
- Make sure your power supply provides sufficient power for the Raspberry Pi and the Zigate
- Connect to the Raspberry Pi using your web browser, Domoticz uses port 8080. Therefore, if the IP address is 192.168.1.105, the URL will be http://192.168.1.105:8080
- Click the Setup -> Hardware setting in the menu
- Add your Zigate. Be certain to set the Join time to a long value or 255 while testing.
- Verify that the blue light is flashing on the Zigate. This means it is ready for devices to join. If it doesn't flash, you can try restarting Domoticz with
sudo systemctl restart domoticzor try the Software Reset option in the Hardware settings.
- Try to join a device such as a light bulb or temperature sensor. For example, on a temperature sensor, you might need to hold down the join button for a few seconds until the light flashes.
- In Domoticz, go to the Setup -> Devices tab and verify the new device is visible in the list
Next steps and troubleshooting
Please share your feedback and questions through the Domoticz forums.
Sample installation log
pi@pi5:~ $ sudo apt install domoticz-zigate-plugin Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done The following additional packages will be installed: domoticz jennic-module-programmer libopenzwave1.6 libpython3-dev libpython3.5-dev openzwave The following NEW packages will be installed: domoticz domoticz-zigate-plugin jennic-module-programmer libopenzwave1.6 libpython3-dev libpython3.5-dev openzwave 0 upgraded, 7 newly installed, 0 to remove and 74 not upgraded. Need to get 51.7 MB of archives. After this operation, 91.8 MB of additional disk space will be used. Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y Get:1 http://apt.debify.org/debify debify-raspbian-stretch-backports/main armhf libopenzwave1.6 armhf 1.6+ds-1~bpo9+1 [406 kB] Get:2 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian stretch/main armhf libpython3.5-dev armhf 3.5.3-1+deb9u1 [36.9 MB] Get:3 http://apt.debify.org/debify debify-raspbian-stretch-backports/main armhf openzwave armhf 1.6+ds-1~bpo9+1 [24.6 kB] Get:4 http://apt.debify.org/debify debify-raspbian-stretch-backports/main armhf domoticz armhf 4.11020-2~bpo9+1 [10.8 MB] Get:5 http://apt.debify.org/debify debify-raspbian-stretch-backports/main armhf domoticz-zigate-plugin all 4.4.9~beta1-2~bpo9+1 [3,515 kB] Get:6 http://apt.debify.org/debify debify-raspbian-stretch-backports/main armhf jennic-module-programmer armhf 0.6-1~bpo9+1 [9,690 B] Get:7 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian stretch/main armhf libpython3-dev armhf 3.5.3-1 [18.7 kB] Fetched 51.7 MB in 9s (5,717 kB/s) Selecting previously unselected package libopenzwave1.6. (Reading database ... 34831 files and directories currently installed.) Preparing to unpack .../0-libopenzwave1.6_1.6+ds-1~bpo9+1_armhf.deb ... Unpacking libopenzwave1.6 (1.6+ds-1~bpo9+1) ... Selecting previously unselected package libpython3.5-dev:armhf. Preparing to unpack .../1-libpython3.5-dev_3.5.3-1+deb9u1_armhf.deb ... Unpacking libpython3.5-dev:armhf (3.5.3-1+deb9u1) ... Selecting previously unselected package libpython3-dev:armhf. Preparing to unpack .../2-libpython3-dev_3.5.3-1_armhf.deb ... Unpacking libpython3-dev:armhf (3.5.3-1) ... Selecting previously unselected package openzwave. Preparing to unpack .../3-openzwave_1.6+ds-1~bpo9+1_armhf.deb ... Unpacking openzwave (1.6+ds-1~bpo9+1) ... Selecting previously unselected package domoticz. Preparing to unpack .../4-domoticz_4.11020-2~bpo9+1_armhf.deb ... Unpacking domoticz (4.11020-2~bpo9+1) ... Selecting previously unselected package domoticz-zigate-plugin. Preparing to unpack .../5-domoticz-zigate-plugin_4.4.9~beta1-2~bpo9+1_all.deb ... Unpacking domoticz-zigate-plugin (4.4.9~beta1-2~bpo9+1) ... Selecting previously unselected package jennic-module-programmer. Preparing to unpack .../6-jennic-module-programmer_0.6-1~bpo9+1_armhf.deb ... Unpacking jennic-module-programmer (0.6-1~bpo9+1) ... Setting up jennic-module-programmer (0.6-1~bpo9+1) ... Setting up libopenzwave1.6 (1.6+ds-1~bpo9+1) ... Setting up libpython3.5-dev:armhf (3.5.3-1+deb9u1) ... Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.24-11+deb9u3) ... Processing triggers for man-db (18.104.22.168-2) ... Setting up libpython3-dev:armhf (3.5.3-1) ... Setting up openzwave (1.6+ds-1~bpo9+1) ... Setting up domoticz (4.11020-2~bpo9+1) ... Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/domoticz.service → /lib/systemd/system/domoticz.service. Setting up domoticz-zigate-plugin (4.4.9~beta1-2~bpo9+1) ... Adding user `domoticz' to group `dialout' ... Adding user domoticz to group dialout Done. pi@pi5:~ $